Besides group presentations and exercises, essay writing is one of the top criteria for assessing the quality of learning for each term.
Depending on the school’s discipline and the discipline, teachers give a percentage of the essay to validate the subject. For example, according to Raluca Popescu, an International and European Law alumnus at The Hague University of Applied Sciences (The Hague, Netherlands), the percentage of essay results to pass the school year is 30% for all. subjects (this rate for the first year is 20%). Because of the importance of essay writing, you should equip yourself with the secrets to successful essay writing.
Like the essays in Vietnam, structuring essays is the first thing to do. You should not start writing immediately when you do not know what you will give in the body of the article and conclude. First, think and write down the important points you want to mention and the source of references to each of those points. An excellent essay will be coherent from one idea to another and not round.
In the opening section, questions or issues to discuss should be clearly presented to summarize what the writer is talking about. These issues will be presented and dealt with in the body of the article in a more profound, meticulous way in the form of main points, and accompany each point of argument, the author’s point of view and the evidence illustration.
Conclusion, you have to summarize the content introduced and analyzed in the above two sections for the reader to get an overview of the whole article. Two common ways to summarize is the content of the issue to discuss or to ask a question to suggest a new problem. The important rule is that if the reader only reads the introduction and the conclusion, they can also identify the main ideas mentioned in the essay.
Convincing the reader with evidence
To “eat points” the content, you should especially pay attention to the body of the article. When writing essays, you should divide the problem into big points and separate each section for easy analysis as well as to facilitate the reader’s readiness, to avoid the case of not resolving this thesis has jumped to Another point is that it will make the reader feel that the problem is not resolved thoroughly.
The experience of keeping the essay “going in a straight line” with the subject matter, make sure to regularly mention the problem / question that the essay offers. When you finish a main point in the body of the essay, you should ask yourself why what just presented is related to the lesson (and if it is not satisfactory, you should dig deep or leave the idea just now). This will help you stay on the right track and create a link with the next paragraph.
Using evidence after each thesis is also a popular way of senior international students – meaning to explain and convince the article. Evidence here can be cited in a specialized work, a doctrine, a certain update of the news or the words of famous people. The more informative and unique evidence will attract the readers’ attention. For essays that require a personal perspective, the proofs “based on a true story” from your own experience will help you stand out.
Carefully read (by many people) before submitting
Grammar, spelling and sentence building are extremely important for an essay, especially in the fields of Social Science and Communication. In the Faculty of Information Communication (University of Technology and Besancon, France), Expression becomes the “dark” subject of students because the subject teacher is willing to deduct 0.5 points for a spelling error. Students in the faculty often recite an anecdote that has a brother who has 20 negative points because of too many misspellings in the essay. Of course, foreign students will be able to travel for some difficult errors, but for basic spelling errors, they still have to receive points except mercilessly. To overcome this drawback, the only way is to practice writing regularly. You need to re-read the essay, as well as ask others to read it because outsiders will be more likely to recognize errors than the writers themselves. Remember, do not submit the initial writing immediately, as it is likely to have many errors. Let yourself rest for 1-2 days and then come back to read the essay with a clear mind, then the error will be easier to find (and you also have time to ask a tutor or friend to read the article to accompany “Hunt” for each other’s errors. This advice is not only for writing essays but also for all texts written in foreign languages such as writing essays, writing task 2 writing for IELTS exams …
One more common problem of Vietnamese students is that foreign teachers often use the words “big hammer” and always try to diversify words. Agree that you should not repeat a word throughout the article, but be sure to find the right word instead. There are many synonyms translated from English to Vietnamese but their context is different. Misuse will reveal a foreign language defect and lose the nature and seamlessness of the article. For example, “I established a dissimilar automobile itinerary this daybreak” instead of simply “I found a new bus route this morning”.
The advice is not to worry about showing readers how you have a rich vocabulary, focus on the main idea, logical reasoning and good evidence, accurate data and conclusions. smart, because the above factors are “formulas” that help you leave the best impression when writing essays.
Pocket tips for a convincing essay
- Let’s start early. You should give yourself plenty of time to think about what you will write and discuss. The instructor easily recognized what was written in 2 days and the lesson was prepared a whole week ago! Therefore, do not be subjective that 2000 words “not difficult” but waiting for the deadline to submit new lessons to write. Try writing a goal, for example 500 words / day to relieve stress and have time to think carefully before putting pen.
- During the outline process, you need to read the materials provided by the instructor first. Your essay will have a plus point if you show that you have read the relevant documents and know how to manipulate evidence.
- At the end of each essay is the reference source. Typically, schools in English-speaking countries use the APA source guide of the American Psychological Association, which requires the quotation to appear in the essay as well as the reference information section at end of the post. Without this “movement”, you will be in more trouble than you think, and may even be subject to disciplinary actions and plagiarism. Therefore, use plagiarism filtering sites like Urkund, Turnitin or the school’s plagiarism filtering tool (if your school applies this method to online essays) before submitting it!
- Saving the list of reference sources will save you time and effort. Synthesis of reference sources takes more time than you think, so it is easier to create a list of sources you have used. Remember to record the number of pages with information from books or links.
- And reference sites like Voices of Youth (with multidimensional perspectives on emerging issues of the world), Google Scholar or Online Writing Lab (provide details of citations from works, books, Teaching materials and even ESL exercises will help you accumulate valuable essay knowledge and skills!